History of Ysgol Parc y Bont School from 1940 to 1949
1940 began with strong gales and torrential rains, followed by exceptionally heavy snowfalls, which completely paralysed all means of transport. Towards the end of the month the thaw began, causing much flooding in its wake. Entries in the School Log in regard to school affairs appear to diminish, giving way to notes relative to the war.
May 1940 - “Public meeting held in the school to discuss and arrange a War Time Cookery Class, thirty-five local women attended.’”
June 1940 - “Fitting and issuing gas masks to all pupils.”
October 1940 - “School windows sprayed with anti-splinter paint.”
An alarming incident commanding much comment in the district and a sense of the nearness of the war comes to light from the following entry: “Land mines dropped by enemy planes on Holland Arms, one dwelling damaged.”
13 March 1941 - “Air-raid alarm from 9.30 p.m. to 1.30 a.m., bombs dropped in corner of field in Llwyn Onn close to the Brynsiencyn road, bombs also dropped in Plas Newydd Park, no damage reported.”
26 September 1941 - “Extra week’s holiday granted to enable pupils to assist with harvesting on local farms.”
In the spring of 1942 the school was closed for several weeks to effect repairs to it. It was during these operations that the bell situated in the belfry was removed. I have failed to trace its whereabouts.
9 December 1942 - “Fire broke out in cloakroom roof and coal house, staff and pupils managed to extinguish the fire by noon.”
No reference to the war is made within the School’s Log during 1943 or 1944.
25 January 1944 “Work begins on building of school kitchen, the wall separating the girls’ and boys’ yards being first removed.”
21 March 1944 - “Meals served in school for first time, fifty-three pupils and three teachers sat. The first canteen staff being Miss J. Owen, Carreg Ddyfnallt (cook), assisted by Mrs A. Jones, Bryn Celli Wen.”
1945 began with severely cold weather and heavy snowfalls, followed by intense freezing. All roads became impassable, ‘Mrs. Owen and Mrs. Parry walk daily to school from Llanfair P.G.’
8 & 9 May 1945 - National holiday to mark the end of the Second World War
9 June 1945 -“Victory Tea Party in school arranged by the local Welcome Home Committee, followed by sports in adjoining field.”
The early part of 1946 and extending to mid May was one of severe drought, broken by violent storms with heavy rains, hail, snow and thunder.
18 July 1946 - “Attendance very poor as many children in the company of their parents went to Bangor to see the King and Queen who are visiting that town.”
February 1946 - In recent years the number of pupils on the school roll shows a decreasing trend; “The number on school roll have fallen below fifty it reverts to a two-teacher school, staff no Mr. Thomas J. Rogers (headmaster) and Mrs. J. Parry Williams (assistant).’”
1 April 1946 - “School leaving age raised to fifteen as from today.”
20 November 1946 - “Holiday for all schools on the occasion of the marriage of H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth to H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh.”
1948 - “the playground was tarmacced.”
30 April 1949 - After serving the school as Infants’ Mistress for twenty-four years, “Mrs. J. Parry Williams terminates her appointment .”
1 March 1949 - Mrs. A. Jones, Bryn Celli Wen, is appointed cook-in-charge and remained in this capacity until her retirement in July 1958.