History of Ysgol Parc y Bont from 1950 to 1959
15 February 1952. “Two minutes silence observed in school in memory of H.M. King George VI who is buried in Windsor today.”
1952 - The last examinations for entrance to secondary schools in Anglesey took place. The island went “comprehensive” in September 1953.
17 July 1953 - Mr Rogers’ long term of thirty-three years as headmaster of the school came to a close. He was presented with a fire-side chair in recognition of his long service; rather appropriate one feels on which to rest and reminisce upon the span of so long a period. Mr. Rogers gave the school and the community his utmost in unfeigned loyalty and dedication over the years, and innumerable are those who have cause to be grateful to him for many favours. The door of his home in Tremynfa was always open to those who sought his advice and help in so many ways, and which he freely gave, none being turned away. Testimony of the esteem in which Mr. Rogers was regarded was seen on the day of his funeral when mourners from far and wide attended in Llanddaniel Church. His remains were laid to rest in Llanidan cemetery on 20th May 1971. Thus passed away a noble gentleman from the scene of his travails. He had service the school with great grace and dignity.
Close on eighty years were shared between Mr. Butler and Mr. Rogers as headmasters of the school. Thus most of its first century history has evolved with it. Mr. Rogers’ retirement coincided with a changed approach in education in Anglesey schools. The end of the eleven plus Entrance Examination brought about a relaxed atmosphere all round, supposedly to encourage children to develop their own individual skills and show their creative abilities.
January 1954 - Mr. W Jones Parry was appointed headmaster of the school. His stay, however, was but of short duration. He left on the 15th July on his preferment to the headship of Park School, Holyhead. During Mr. Parry’s term one notes several innovations at the school, brought about by the increasing technology of the times. The school is now lit by electricity, the same being fully used in the preparation of school meals. These services had by now become established as an integral part of all schools.
In 1958 a new figure appears as headmaster of the school, Mr. W. LI. McLean. He was soon to find himself involved in presentation to former members of the staff, Mr. W. Jones Parry, Miss E. E. Jones and Mrs. A. Jones (cook). Mrs. Jones’ service to the school is particularly to be commended, for she had to prepare meals by rather antiquated methods. She would be the first to delight in the better conditions which prevailed in the time of her successor, Mrs. Olga R. Jones, who was appointed in her place on 1st September, 1958.