Home. Books. Businesses. Guest Book. History. Kids Zone. Location. Newyddion. Photos. Search. Ysgol.
Historical Account of Llanddaniel Fab - 1833

LLANDDANIEL-VAB (LLAN-DDEINIOL-VAB), a parish in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Bangor, containing 372 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the great Holyhead road, comprises a large tract of land, which is generally enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. It is a place of considerable antiquity, as appears from the date of the erection of its parish church, which was founded in the early part of the seventh century, by a son of the first bishop of Bangor. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanidan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Daniel Vab, is a very ancient and dilapidated structure, originally erected in the year 616, and exhibiting some good specimens of the architecture of a very remote period. One-third of the great tithes is appropriated to the vicar of Llanidan. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The interest of various charitable benefactions in money, amounting in the aggregate to more than £130, is annually distributed among the poor of the parish.

Near Bodlew, in this parish, is a deeply excavated and irregularly elliptical area, forty-three yards in length, and twenty-seven in width across the centre, with an entrance at the smaller end. Near the centre of this enclosure are the remains of an ancient small building, called Capel Cadwaladr, supposed to have been erected by the last king of all Britain of that name, as an occasional place of worship ; but for what other purpose the area may have been excavated cannot now be ascertained, as there is no record of its history extant, nor description of any similar place in the kingdom. It is by some writers called Hen Fonwent, and is supposed to have been the oldest, if not the first, place of Christian worship established in the island.

The progress of cultivation has nearly obliterated many of the vestiges of antiquity which existed in this parish : there are, notwithstanding, some traces of large carneddau at Bryn Kell, where two upright stones are still remaining, with some few others scattered around them; and in several of the adjacent fields are some upright stones of large dimensions, apparently the remains of cromlechs.

The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £205.12.

(A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)