Historical Account of Llanddaniel Fab - 1849
LLANDDANIEL-VAB (LLAN-DDEINIOL-FAB), a parish, in the poor-law union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Menai, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Bangor; containing 407 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the great Holyhead road, and intersected by the Chester and Holyhead railway, comprises a large tract of land, generally inclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanidan. The church is dedicated to St. Deiniol Vab, who is said to be a son of Deiniol, or Daniel, the first Bishop of Bangor, and to have founded a church here in the year 616. It is a small edifice of the 16th century, or perhaps earlier, but has been so much altered by successive reparations, that little of its original architectural character now remains. The building consists of a single aisle, measuring forty feet by twenty feet externally; the western doorway is circular-headed, of the later English period, and the western wall is capped by a single bell-gable with an ogee covering.
There are two modern windows in the southern wall, and one in the northern; the eastern window is also modern, but traces yet exist of a two-light window of ancient date: the font is circular, and perfectly plain. A monument in the interior commemorates a lady of the Ellis family, 1723. There are places of worship in the parish for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists, with a Sunday school held in each of them. The interest of various charitable benefactions in money amounting in the aggregate to more than £130, is annually distributed among the poor. The principal of these is a bequest of £50, by Mrs. Catherine Roberts, in 1756, the interest to be divided between two decayed housekeepers; this sum was invested by mortgage on the tolls of the turnpike-road between Holyhead and Shrewsbury, and the interest, £2. 10., is distributed as directed. A rent-charge of £1. 11., a bequest or grant by Robert Pritchard, is derived from a farm called Penrhyn Gadva, the property of the Irby family, Lords Boston; a charge of £1. 1., arising from the benefactions of various individuals, is paid by another family. The church lands produce £4. 10. annually.
At Bodlew, in the parish, is a deeply excavated and irregularly elliptical area, forty-three yards in length, and twenty-seven in width across the centre, with an entrance at the smaller end. Near the centre of this inclosure were formerly the remains of an ancient building, called Capel Cadwaladr, supposed to have been erected by the last King of all Britain of that name, as an occasional place of worship; but for what other purpose the area may have been excavated cannot now be ascertained, as there is no record of it extant, nor description of any similar place in the kingdom. It is still called Y Vonwent, and the chapel is said to have been one of the oldest places of Christian worship established in Anglesey. The progress of cultivation has almost obliterated the vestiges of antiquity which existed in the parish; there are still some Celtic remains at Bryn Keli.
As described by the Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pages 505-11