Home. Books. Businesses. Guest Book. History. Kids Zone. Location. Newyddion. Photos. Search. Ysgol.
The History of Ysgol Parc y Bont school, Llanddaniel Fab
From 1832 to 1975

1832 to 1872  The Duchess of Kent School - The early years

1870 to 1879  A new school 'Ysgol Parc y Bont'; Measles, whooping cough and scarlet fever widespread; Cleaning duties for children

1880 to 1889  Children caned and whipped for being absent; Six-foot snow drifts; Children help to plant potatoes; measles in every house in the village

1890 to 1899 Threshing machine visits village; boys caned for throwing stones onto school roof; Excellent attendance of 71.8% achieved for one week

1900 to 1909 80 children on school register; Attendance sometimes down to 32%; Best attendance of 48.7%; Children absent to beg for eggs

1910 to 1919 The Great War; School closed for funeral of King Edward VII; Dentist and Nurse visit pupils; Vegetables planted in school playground

1920 to 1929 Mr Butler retires after 50 years as the School Headmaster; Education Committee threaten to close school due to disrepair

1930 to 1939 First wireless radio at school; Death of King George V; Coronation of King George VI; Twenty evacuee children arrive

1940 to 1949 The Second World War; Gas Masks for all pupils; extra week's holidays for harvesting; school leaving age rises to 15

1950 to 1959 Mr Rogers retires after 33 years as the School Headmaster; Electricity installed

1960 to 1969 Telephone and Television installed; Gas heating replaced fire stoves

1970 to 1975 School renovated; Ysgol Parc y Bont celebrates its centenary